Kayaking for Seniors
Are you a senior who wants to go kayaking, but you’re worried that a kayak will be too heavy and uncomfortable?
At Oz Inflatable Kayaks, we get a lot of inquiries from seniors who want to get into kayak paddling for exercise, relaxation, nature appreciation, nostalgia, socialising and sometimes for another way to enjoy caravanning around Australia.
As a senior, you will be kitted out with quite a unique kayak set up, because your priorities are most likely comfort, back support, stability and ease of portage. But you still want a kayak that is wonderful to paddle, right?
So how do you know if a kayak package meets your needs?
- Comfort – you could be paddling for hours at a time, so you want your kayak to be comfortable. You don’t want a numb bum from sitting on a hard seat! You need a Kayak with a floor and a seat that is cushioned, not hard.
- Back Support – there are a few elements to look for to ensure you back is well supported.
- First, make sure the seat has a high back, and that the back is strong enough to support all your weight – you don’t want to be using your abdominal muscles to support yourself.
- Secondly, look for adjustable lumbar support in the seat back. We all have different shaped backs, so it is important to be able to adjust the lumbar to suit your back.
- Thirdly, make sure there is some kind of foot rest. The foot rest really helps your back by giving you something to brace against when you are paddling.
- Stability – if you are hoping for a leisurely paddling experience, it is much more relaxing when you don’t have to concentrate on staying upright all the time. Generally speaking, a kayak is stable if it has a wide, flat hull.
- Ease of Portage – If you don’t want to spend your twilight years hauling around 30kg, you need to find a lightweight kayak. Also, the lighter the kayak, the easier it is to get in and out of the car, caravan or boat, and the easier it is to get it down to the water and back.
- Great on the water – there is no point in getting a comfortable, lightweight, stable and back-friendly kayak if it is terrible to paddle. This is probably the hardest feature to judge from looking at a kayak.
To make things easier for you, we have put together our Oz Inflatable Kayaks Light & Easy package to encourage kayaking for seniors.
The Light and Easy Package incorporates all of the features highlighted above so that you don’t have to worry about trying to figure out the best Kayak and accessories for you.